Dietetics / Nutrition
Understanding that our diet is a critical foundation for our health and wellbeing, your dietitian will thoroughly assess your current diet and create a detailed plan taking into consideration any medical conditions that you may be experiencing. Dietitians also work with healthy individuals looking to improve their health and feel better.
What can I expect from a dietitian?
During your initial dietetic consultation, your dietitian will:
- Assess your nutritional needs, incorporating your medical conditions and personal circumstances;
- Appraise your current diet;
- Review of your laboratory, biopsy and other test results; and
- Develop a personalised eating plan, shopping lists and food preparation advice
Periodic reviews will then keep your accountable and address any concerns that have arisen with your dietary and lifestyle advices. Generally you will require 2 - 5 sessions over the course of a couple of months to a year depending on the severity of your condition.
What conditions can dietitian help with?
- Heart disease;
- Gastrointestinal diseases such as coeliac, Chron's and irritable bowel (IBS);
- Food allergies and intolerances;
- Eating disorders;
- Weight loss; and
- Picky eaters and paediatric conditions
Are there any rebates on dietetic consultations?
Depending on your Private Health Insurance, you may be eligible for instant rebates from the cost of the consultation. Additionally, your GP may write a Chronic Disease Management (also known as CDM, previously Enhanced Primary Care - EPC) Plan which entitles you up to five discounted visits.